Where in the World is our Mental Health?
Today is the World Health Organization’s World Mental Health Day.
From the WHO web site:
This year the theme is “Investing in Mental Health”. Financial and human resources allocated for mental health are inadequate especially in low resource countries. The majority of low- and middle-income countries spend less than 2% of their health budget on mental health. Many countries have less than one mental health specialist per one million population.
Even in higher resource countries like the U.S. where I live, mental health care and coverage is spotty. Many don’t seek mental health treatment including psychiatric evaluation and monitoring, and talk therapy because they cannot afford it.
But it is so important to reach out. It is a strength to reach out.
If you or someone you know is in crisis, please call:
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline for example: 1-800-273-TALK (8255), a 24-hr/7-day hotline where anyone can call for help and speak to someone trained in suicide prevention. suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Befrienders.org, a worldwide directory of suicide prevention hotlines and resources.
If you or someone you know is struggling, please reach out or encourage them to reach out. We not only do this by giving out hotline numbers and web sites.
- We also do this by speaking openly about our struggles.
- Walking openly in public with others for a cause.
- Asking a friend “How are you really?” and not letting an “I’m fine” be the answer if you think its not the real answer.
- Blogging or writing about your struggles.
- Participating in Tweet Chats like #PPDChat and #MHSM.
- Taking part in the PPD SpeakEasy mental health phone chat.
- Reading and commenting on blog posts from Band Back Together or checking out this group blog’s amazing resource pages.
- Reading posts and Daily Hope emails from Postpartum Progress and other wonderful mental health focused blogs.
- Sharing your love and support with those who are openly sharing their stories.
- Not being ashamed to type a Facebook status that says “I’m having a bad day.”
There are so many ways to reach out to others and truly make an impact, even if we don’t know we are helping.
ALSO, today is Canadian Thanksgiving. I just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to my many friends up north. I am grateful for you today and every day.
AND, I’ve been working with April Showers Blog Design over the weekend on the new blog design and functionality. I’ts coming along but we had a few snags over the weekend so its not complete. Please note, If you are an RSS feed subscriber to the old blog, it *should* forward to your RSS feed for 30 days. But you’ll need to re-subscribe for the future. If you are an email subscriber, it will not carry over so stay tuned for how to re-submit for emails. I’ll keep you posted as we change everything over!