I hope you’re all having a fun Halloween. Unfortunately, our household is a little under the weather but we’ll still be dressing up to try and have some fun. I think its important for me, John and for our kids to have days like Halloween to bring joy and creativity into our lives. Its moments like trick or treating together that help me maintain my mood, let me feel the bliss of parenting, and allow my kids to share their joys with us as a family.
Mayo Clinic researchers in partnership with numerous national mental health advocacy organizations launched new simple-to-understand tools to help identify youth who may have mental health disorders.
According to Mayo, its estimated up to 75 percent of youth with mental health disorders such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, anxiety, and eating disorders are usually not identified, and youth do not receive the care they need.
After surveying more than 6,000 parents and children about mental health services in the United States during the past decade, researchers created a mental health disorder Action Signs tool kit to help easily identify symptoms for youth who may be experiencing mental disorders.
If your child has any of these 11 warning signs, he or she may have a mental health disorder and should be referred to treatment as soon as possible:
- Feeling very sad or withdrawn for two or more weeks
- Seriously trying to harm or kill themselves, or making plans to do so
- Sudden overwhelming fear for no reason, sometimes with a racing heart or fast breathing
- Involved in multiple fights, using a weapon, or wanting badly to hurt others
- Severe out-of-control behavior that can hurt the teenager or others
- Not eating, throwing up, or using laxatives to lose weight
- Intense worries or fears that get in the way of daily activities
- Extreme difficulty in concentrating or staying still that puts a teenager in physical danger or causes school failure
- Repeated use of drugs or alcohol
- Severe mood swings that cause problems in relationships
- Drastic changes in behavior or personality